Monday, May 3, 2010

Ten is the sum of the digits in my age

When I started blogging, I was only 23, and I was bored. I had to channel that boredom into something productive.

Now, I'm 28, but I'm still bored. I'm already 'productive', so I blog less.


Unlike some people I know, I really don't have any clever opinions to write about. My life story is boring (that's why I'm bored) and I find it hard to write something argumentative because I would end up counter-arguing my own arguments. If I did write something argumentative, either the entry become too long (which no one will read ~ tl:dr) or it will not be written at all (because the points become pointless).

However, I still like to challenge other people's opinion through argumentative comments. Not that I want them to accept the points I'm putting forth, or trying to put down their opinion, or to win the argument; I just want to see how they think, or how they really see it, or how they build up the opinion in the first place or how strongly they will hold on to their opinion.


Before I started blogging, I was actually not this way. I would usually argue because I disagree with the other person's opinion. I was usually either defensive or offensive, never really open or 'agreeing to disagree'. My main goal was always to win the argument. If I failed to win the argument, I would definitely hold on to my opinion and try my best to show how the other person's view is 'wrong' or flawed.

I believe employment, married life and fatherhood changed me. When I entered these different phases in life, my behavior, how I think, how I react, my emotional control, somehow changed. I'm listening or reading more now than I'm talking or writing. I seek to understand rather than making judgement. I prefer calm discussion over heated argument. I try to be more objective instead of becoming emotional. I usually find the positive side of things instead of lingering to the negative thoughts.

Of course, there are still times when I don't want to listen, when I argue, I become judgemental and when I'm emotional, but the frequency is much lower compared to years ago.


I believe I'm maturing. I'm still not matured, as maturity is an on-going process as long as the brain is still functioning and able to learn new things. Maturity stops when we are in our dotage or when our mental capacity starts declining. Maturity paused when we are clinging to our past and not willing to change our ways.

Let's move on. Press the play button.

8 comments:

Obefiend Weiland said...

entry yang agree kemudian disagree dengan diri sendiri

huhuh...

i like your blog. one of the few that i read. then u gave up. I am sad now....

oh in my case I argue for the sake of pissing people off. i derive happiness from people's misery and anger. i have real opinion on anything to be honest. hehehe.

Obefiend Weiland said...

i have no real. fffuuuuuuuuuu typo

Sayuti said...

ko memang sadistic! and the king of typo. i'm not giving up, just slowing down.

Pegawai Khalwat said...

People change.

Sayuti said...

life is change.

kl-kk-ptrjaya said...

bro..keterbukaan menerima pendapat kebiasaanye apabile kt beransur dewasa dn matang serta tahap pendidikan yg meningkat...tk gitu?

kl-kk-ptrjaya said...

bro minta maaf kn jwb kt sini....sbb soalan ni personal sikit la...you tulis kt blog obe:
" yang lebih menjadi persoalan sekarang pada aku ialah kredibiliti kamu dengan neo je. kalau tak silap aku, dalam entri sebelum-sebelum ni, kamu yang dok cakap perbincangan mendalam agama itu harus dihadkan kepada ahlinya saja. rasanya, sampai bab kesahihan dan perawi hadith ini, kira mendalam jugak ni kan?"
jwpnnye ia..anda sdg bertanye kpd ahlinye...hehehehe

Sayuti said...

baiklah.